Re: [leafnode-list] ANNOUNCEMENT: leafnode 1.9.16ma1

Mark Brown schrieb am Mittwoch, den 09. August 2000:

> Well, it does mean that they have to go find PRCE and install it or (if
> an automatic download script is used) that you need to be on-line to
> build it.

PCRE can be provided along with leafnode on the leafnode mirrors, there
could be a site and instructions on how to retrieve that as mail
(mailback file server or ftpmail), and of course, there should (read:
must) be information on where to find PCRE.

Currently, PCRE is available at
ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/

> Having said all that, I tend to agree with you that it would be much
> more elegant not to include PCRE in the Leafnode distribution.  The only
> issue is support and scaring away users - "install this library" is very
> much scarier for a lot of Leafnode's target audience than what happens
> at present.

PCRE is easily installed, and a list that goes like this:

1. download pcre-3.3.tar.gz
2. do: gunzip -c pcre-3.3.tar.gz | tar -xf -
3. do: ( cd pcre-3.3 ; ./configure && make && make install )
4. download leafnode-1.9.17.tar.gz [no, that's not yet available!]
5. do: gunzip -c leafnode-1.9.17.tar.gz | tar -xf -
6. do: ( cd leafnode-1.9.17.tar.gz ; ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc/leafnode && make && make install )
7. copy /etc/leafnode/config.sample to /etc/leafnode/config
8. edit /etc/leafnode/config
9. edit /etc/inetd.conf and insert this line...
10.

> > I find the Makefile.am style of doing things VERY attractive, example:
>
> I think you'll find this one is a religious issue :-) .

Of course. From a maintainer's point of view, however, automake scares
with a documentation that is less organized than autoconf's. It helps to
read a HTMLized version (as available on the GNU web sites). However,
once you got it up and running, it's *very* smooth. It really helps.