Re: [leafnode-list] ANNOUNCEMENT: leafnode 1.9.16ma1

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 05:03:05PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:

> The procedure to build and install PCRE or Leafnode from source does not
> differ, but cutting the distribution to half is size is useful. If

Well, it does mean that they have to go find PRCE and install it or (if
an automatic download script is used) that you need to be on-line to
build it.

> people get and install the leafnode RPM, they can get and install the

Hopefully people providing pre-packaged versions are already doing that.
Shipping a binary package which installed libpcre would be rather
broken, to say the least.

> PCRE RPM as well. Don't bloat.

It's not as if this is Source Navigator or anything - even with PCRE,
Leafnode is small and it does handle things already being avalible on
the machine.

Having said all that, I tend to agree with you that it would be much
more elegant not to include PCRE in the Leafnode distribution.  The only
issue is support and scaring away users - "install this library" is very
much scarier for a lot of Leafnode's target audience than what happens
at present.

> I find the Makefile.am style of doing things VERY attractive, example:

I think you'll find this one is a religious issue :-) .

--
Mark Brown  mailto:broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/