Re: [leafnode-list] I have had a go (was Basic configuration questions

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:20:18 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

>> Typing in telnet localhost 119 gives:
>>
>> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>> Connected to localhost.localdomain.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>>
>> instead of "200 Leafnode NNTP Deamon, version 1.19.14  running at
>> localhost.localdomain" which is what I should expect according to the
>> FAQ.
>
>This looks like the tcp wrapper denies you access to leafnode.
>
>You probably put the line
>
>leafnode: ALL EXCEPT LOCAL

I did.

>into /etc/hosts.deny. The problem is that your machine is called
>"localhost.localdomain", therefore "LOCAL" does not match (see
>hosts_access(5) for some rather technical elucidation). It can
>be solved by sticking a separate

Where is my machine "named"?  Is that in the /etc/hosts?

Could I not simply change the name, or is that liable to open another
can or worms?

Or would putting "leafnode: ALL EXCEPT localhost.localdomain" in
/etc/hosts.deny solve it as an alternative to your suggestion below?

Since LOCAL seems meaningless on my machine if I do leafnode:
127.0.0.1 as you suggest below in /etc.hosts.allow I am guessing there
must be a more appropriate line for /etc/hosts.deny to block the
outside world from my news server?

>leafnode: 127.0.0.1
>
>into /etc/hosts.allow. Then you should be fine.

Thanks, I will try it this evening if the other ideas above are off
beam.

>(You should also see messages like "leafnode[4150]: refused connect from
>localhost.localdomain" in some of your logfiles, possibly
>/var/log/messages.)

Can't say I did, but I will check if I still have problems having
tried out the above.

BTW, since I put the text "localhost" in the /etc/nntpserver file do I
need to change that as well?  I understood the entry in this file was
supposed to be the name of the machine and mine appears to be
"localhost.localdomain".

So should nntpserver have that text in, instead of just "localhost"?

I am unclear as to what uses this file and its relationship to
leafnode.  I assume  $NNTPSERVER is a link to the file.  I did not set
this link up (don't know the syntax being new to all this) so is that
something else I need to do?

Thanks again,

Dave