Re: [leafnode-list] I have had a go (was Basic configuration questions

David Oddie wrote:

> Typing in telnet localhost 119 gives:
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.localdomain.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> instead of "200 Leafnode NNTP Deamon, version 1.19.14  running at
> localhost.localdomain" which is what I should expect according to the
> FAQ.

This looks like the tcp wrapper denies you access to leafnode.

You probably put the line

leafnode: ALL EXCEPT LOCAL

into /etc/hosts.deny. The problem is that your machine is called
"localhost.localdomain", therefore "LOCAL" does not match (see
hosts_access(5) for some rather technical elucidation). It can
be solved by sticking a separate

leafnode: 127.0.0.1

into /etc/hosts.allow. Then you should be fine.

(You should also see messages like "leafnode[4150]: refused connect from
localhost.localdomain" in some of your logfiles, possibly
/var/log/messages.)

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  SP4 */