Re: [leafnode-list] messages keep coming up as read

Hi,

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Cornelius Krasel wrote:
> Nick Drage wrote:
>
> > I've got a problem with Leafnode 1.9.13 and rtin 1.4.3 - fetchnews seems
> > to download the messages OK, but then rtin doesn't seen any of the newly
> > downloaded messages as new, apart from one group.  Looked at the leafnode
> > FAQ, can't see this as a common problem.
>
> This is usually the result of a corrupted .newsrc file. Most newsreaders
> look into this file to find out which articles you have already read.
> If the numbering there is messed up for some reason, you won't see any
> articles as "new".
>
> The easiest way to fix it is to set each number to 1, thereby marking
> all articles as new. Then use rtin to mark the old articles as read
> and everything should be fine.

Thank you very much for that, that fixed the problem.

I think the issue was caused by an issue someone else mentioned, whereby
as a user you run fetchnews, then as soon as that *seems* to have finished
you immediately run your news client.  Of course fetchnews is still doing
some tidying, but apart from "ps auxw | grep fetchn" how do you tell.  I'm
sure fetchnews used to print to the terminal the actions it was taking
post-download, which meant I never started the news reader before I
should, is there a way I bring this functionality back in to stop me
breaking things?

That is presuming that fetchnews affects .newsrc.......

--
Nick Drage, helping fill up the internet since 1993.

To err is human, to forgive is against company policy