Re: [leafnode-list] Error Message

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 05:16:49PM +0200, Cornelius Krasel wrote:
> Mike Castle wrote:
> > I'm beginning to wonder if this is a glibc problem.
>
> What kind of system are you using? I am running 1.9.14 on a glibc-2.1.2
> based Linux system (SuSE 6.3), and I never encountered this problem.
> What is your output of

Cornelius, I saw you posted a question to a German newsgroup.  What did it
say?  :->

I might also suggest you post the quesion in comp.unix.programmer and
news.software.nntp.

If there is a problem in glibc, I'm sure it would have turned up in INN by
now and someone on n.s.n would hopefully recognize it.

Similarly, if there are issues with the whole method, it might be caught
either there or c.u.p.

Also, I think posting the function nntpconnect() from nntputil.c might be
of benefit too.

I did some testing last night and the socket does appear to still be
blocking.  So it's not like it some how got incorrectly changed to have
O_NONBLOCK set on.

While I suspect it is a strange interaction with glibc we are seeing, I'd
like to recommend we check kernel versions too.  I'm running 2.2.15pre15
(a little old, but seems "good enough").  What are other Linux folk running
and with the following lines added to miscutil.c, are you seeing any
output (add lines marked with + to getaline in miscutil.c):

    while ((p=fgets(buf+len, size-len, f)) != NULL) {
        len += strlen(buf+len);
        if (len > 0 && ( buf[len-1] == '\n' || len < size-1 ) )
            break;          /* the whole line has been read */

+        if (len == 0) {
+            syslog( LOG_INFO, "len == 0!");
+        }

        size += size+100;
        buf = critrealloc(buf, size, "reading line" );
    }

I did some research on deja/usenet last night, and looked through 3 of my
Steven's book and couldn't find much, as well as current INN source.  I
couldn't find much.  Everything I saw looks like the socket stuff is going
correct, fdopen, dup, etc, all look like examples I saw elsewhere.

I'm hoping (unfortunately) that someone besides Jeff and I are having this
problem so we can get a few more data points!

I mirror the gnu email archives lists.  So I'll go through them to see if
anything has shown up lately on any of the glibc lists (they have separate
lists for regular bugs and the 2.2 work).  I'll try to grab the cvs stuff
too and look for changes (I'm not daring enough to install it though!).

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  dalgoda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  and be right all the time, or not work at all