Re: [leafnode-list] Fwd: Re: leafnode & header fetches

On 14-Jul-2000 Cornelius Krasel wrote:
[Query...]
>> > I need to be able to set some subscriptions to header only, so that if a
>> > client box wants a particular body, it will ask the server box for this,
>> > which will then, /& only then/, fetch the body for me from the remote
>> > server.
>> >
>> > Is this possible with leafnode or any alternative news server?
>
> This may be possible with "noffle" (see
>       http://home.t-online.de/home/markus.enzenberger/noffle.html )

Yep, you can do it with Noffle, with a proviso - Noffle doesn't fetch all
header information, just the overview info. Basically that means that From:,
Date:, References:, Subject:, Message-ID:, Bytes: and Lines: are the only
headers available at the preview stage. Reading the article will show some
explanatory text, and at the next fetch the entire article (or, depending on
the mode, all articles in the thread) will be fetched.

Assuming you want most groups to have a full feed, but some to be header-only,
you'll need to set the header-only group fetch status for each. The main-line
CVS (http://sourceforge.net/projects/noffle) will let you specify a regular
expression for groups to be made header-only (e.g. *binaries*), but you may
prefer to go for the stable version (though unstable works for me - but then,
I'm hacking on it....)

RPMs incorporating some fixes/changes awaiting 1.0pre7 can be found at
http://www.bear-cave.fsnet.co.uk/linux/noffle. I have some more fixes to 1.0
that will go in early next week, so check back.

Sorry, I didn't see the original query on uk.comp.os.linux. I'll see if I can
find it at home over the weekend; the news server here manages to miss so
much...

--
Jim Hague - jim.hague@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Work), jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Play)
Never trust a computer you can't lift.