Re: [leafnode-list] Is fetchnews a deamon?

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 09:29:13PM -0400, Nicholas Pappas wrote:

> 	I found a few fetchnews "wrappers" on the archive, but never did
> find the direct answer to this question... Is fetchnews a deamon, or does
> it need to be run manually?

It needs to be run manually.

> 	If it needs to be run manually, is it sutable to place in a cron?

Yes.  This and in the ppp-up scripts are the standard places to run it.

> 	If it is a deamon, does it start automatically when leafnode is
> loaded in inet.d or should it be started in one of the init files (any
> suggestions as to which one)?

Like I said, it's not a daemon and in any case neither is Leafnode -
it's not started from the init.d scripts but is instead run from inetd.
Please see the INSTALL file in the distribution for details on how to
set this up.

--
Mark Brown  mailto:broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/