Re: [leafnode-list] Problems with posting (was: no subject)

krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cornelius Krasel) writes:

> The reason I want to implement several posting attempts of an out.going
> article over all servers is that some upstream servers sometimes suffer
> of bad propagation. I don't see an easy solution to achieve this at
> the moment. Otherwise, one could unlink() immediately after receiving
> "240".
>
> The way to go is probably to return a list of filenames that were
> posted successfully and to work through this list at the end of the
> program.

Why that complicated? How about one out.going directory per server? The
article is written once, then hard linked into the other
out.going/news.cis.dfn.de-style directories, so it costs only one inode
(but of course, several files).

As soon as one server that has the groups the article is meant for,
rejects posting that article, it can be hard linked into failed.postings
(only one global directory) and the reason logged. It might be a good
idea to have a failed.postings/1-2-3.reasons file that collects the fail
reasons.

> Another solution would be to test for the message id upstream. Articles
> whose message id is available upstream on at least one server are already
> deleted now immediately. I think this is basically what Matthias
> suggested.

Not really, checking the upstreams before posting is not what I intend
to do.

--
Matthias Andree