Re: [leafnode-list] Newbie Question

krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cornelius Krasel) writes:

> Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> > In my test installs, I did not use a filter file, and in the debug
> > output I saw leafnode sending XHDR, and it took my INN quite some time
> > collecting those 100 header lines. It seems INN could be optimized here
> > and return back XHDR immediately if the requested field is present in
> > its XOVER.
>
> Do I understand this correctly: does INN always retrieve XHDR requests
> from the article files? Even Leafnode is more optimized :-)

True for the INNs (sans apostrophe!) that I have come across, among them
news.uni-dortmund.de and news.fu-berlin.de (aka. news.cis.dfn.de) and
the SuSE 6.4 INN 2.2.x.

> In that case, it might indeed be more clever to add a usexhdr (or
> avoidxover) option to each server. I haven't looked at the latest
> 2.0bma yet, but from your announcement I understand that you have
> done this already.

Been there, done that ;-)

Read: I have an option named "avoidxover" since 2.0b5_ma3, although I'm
considering renaming it to "preferxhdr" since that is closer to what it
does.

Current behaviour in 2.0b5_ma3 and _ma4:

If at least one of these three conditions is met:
  1 - avoidxover is UNSET (later: preferxhdr is UNSET)
  2 - filters are in effect
  3 - delaybody is in effect

Then fetchnews uses XOVER

Put another way: It only uses XHDR if all these three conditions are met
at the same time:

  1 - avoidxover is SET (to be renamed: preferxhdr)
  2 - no filter file present
  3 - delaybody is 0