Re: [leafnode-list] Newbie Question

Cornelius Krasel schrieb am Freitag, den 17. November 2000:

> Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> > Plus, I saw you implemented XHDR as default when filtering (which I
> > heared once I had fetchnews pull from INN), why did you do that? Why is
> > not XOVER the default?
>
> Oops? As far as I can see, it's XHDR when NOT filtering (because in
> this case, only the message id's have to be transmitted) and XOVER
> for everything else (including delaybody). Since I intend to ship
> leafnode with a default filter setting maxage for all groups, it will
> be XOVER by default and only XHDR if filtering is switched off explicitely.

I was not aware of that intention, I may have missed it.

In my test installs, I did not use a filter file, and in the debug
output I saw leafnode sending XHDR, and it took my INN quite some time
collecting those 100 header lines. It seems INN could be optimized here
and return back XHDR immediately if the requested field is present in
its XOVER. I did not check INN 2.3, because many sites should not be too
fond of upgrading since INN 2.3 changes configuration schemes massively;
thus INN 2.2 will be with us for quite some time still.