Re: [leafnode-list] Autoconf book

Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 06:18:52PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> > It's about maintainability, caring less about writing makefiles, and it
> > does not deteriorate run-time efficiency. It does not require any
> > additional run-time tools for non-maintainers.
>
> I understand that, I just don't think it achieves that goal very well.

Oh, it does not? Look:

  lines
    353 mywork/leafnode/Makefile.in              current 2.0b5_maX
    100 leafnode/leafnode-1.9.17ma3/Makefile.am

Most of those 100 lines are compatibility hacks that I put in to not
break existing Makefile behaviour. AND Makefile.am has more
functionality, like building outside of the source tree, some automatic
tests, fully automatic distribution building.

I'm not discussing this further. You just claimed it did not do its job
while I have experience with a released 1.9.17ma3 that I have some
reports for, mostly positive ("works", "faster").

Please come up with proper reasons or leave this discussion alone. I'm
not too inclined to discussing this without proper (technical) reasons.