Re: URGENT: DON'T USE 2.0B3 - SECURITY ISSUES! (was: [leafnode-list]

Matthias Andree wrote:
> krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cornelius Krasel) writes:
> > Concerning the stability of Leafnode, it appears that there are
> > several thousand users who are quite happy with it. That's certainly
> > sufficient for me, and I am still interested in weeding out remaining
> > bugs.
>
> You don't expect the leafnode target group to be able to judge on the
> stability. If fetchnews - run from cron - crashes occasionally, they
> won't notice. If it inserts junk of drops an article, they may not
> notice.

For me a program must be reasonably stable. It doesn't have to be
rock-stable. I can live with a program which crashes on me once a
month. (Leafnode hasn't.) It is much more important for me that the
program is easy to use and has the features I want. Obviously, other
people might have different preferences.

But these are the reasons why I use Netscape and not Lynx for surfing
the web, or Word (on a Mac) and not LaTeX for writing my correspondence
(OTOH, I have used LaTeX - and would always use it again - for writing
larger documents). I want Leafnode to be of reasonable stability. I
want it as user-friendly and easy to use as possible, and I want to
incorporate features that have been frequently demanded by its users.
And I believe that the current 2.0beta is a good step in that direction,
although there certainly is room for improvement :-)

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  SP4 */