Re: [leafnode-list] [ANNOUNCE] First Leafnode-2.0 beta version

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 03:20:16PM +0200, Cornelius Krasel wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 01:32:22PM +0200, Joerg Dietrich wrote:
> > Also, I don't think the way moderated newsgroups are handled
> > currently is okay.
> newsgroup is nor which newsgroups are moderated. However, I don't
> think these things were solved with the patch that you sent me
> during the alpha stage.

I agree that strstr()ing for (Moderated) in the tagline is
anything but good, although (Moderated) is a requierement for
moderated groups.

> The second thing is rather easy to fix. Leafnode would have to store
> the "y"/"n"/"m" field. The first thing obviously involves checking
> whether a newsgroup to post into is moderated and, if yes, delivering
> the posting to an appropriate address by invoking sendmail.

I'm a bit confused here about first and second, but here are my
thoughts. Evaluating the y/n/m field is certainly the way to do
it. Sendmail, however, should only be invoked for local moderated
groups. The moderator addresses of "outside" moderated groups
cannot be determined automatically and require the manual
maintenance of the administrator (and following the appropriate
announce groups of the various hierarchies to be notified of changes).
This is certainly not desirable for the audience leafnode is aimed at.
Instead, postings to non-local moderated groups should be sent to one
(and only one) upstream server.

Regards,
	Jo:rg

--
Fortune cookie of the day:
Hi!  I'm Larry.  This is my brother Bob, and this is my other brother