Re: [leafnode-list] Idea: Aliases for sender

> > > This should be a function of the newsreader, not server software.
> > I know of no way in trn to do it.
> What newsreader are you using?

*blink* If I quote only one line and the only substantial positive
noun is "newsreader", and I reply using an unknown name, one would
think that you'd figure out that I was indeed specifying a newsreader.

One of the early UNIX-based text-mode newsreaders was "rn".  It has
spawned a number of offspring, such as "trn", "slrn", and such.

I repeat that I don't know how to do so in trn.  As a related example,
I do know that Pine (a *mail* reader, though) expressly forbids
setting From: unless you recompile with a special option.

It looks like my new Debian 2.2 distro has no trn, just slrn, so if
anyone has advice on resetting From: there, please e-mail me privately
at tmcd@xxxxxxxxx  (Tangent: anyone who knows how I can get a Debian
package with pine, please e-mail me privately too.  And anyone who can
explain why leafnode immediately started downloading the active
newsgroups file when I did "pon", and how I can make it do leafnode
transfers only when *I* initiate it manually.  I panicked when I saw
the modem lines start to blink -- "what the hell is taking over my
computer?!?  is someone hacking in instantly?!?".  -- I don't like new
installs, and Debian seems less friendly than most.)

I'm afraid I don't understand Cornelius's objections.  My impression
is that leafnode mostly runs on personal computers with one or two
users (rather than on small ISPs).  I do not have a registered machine
name at home: largish expense for no purpose I can see, and the
maintainer of *.austin.tx.us never got back to me anyway.  Thus,
I want all news and mail originating from me to look like my ISP
account, "tmcd@xxxxxxxx".  The user name on my home machine I can set,
so the first half I can do.  I cannot name my machine "jump.net"
because it will screw up everything beyond all recognition.
Therefore, I have to rewrite the hostname somewhere.

In short, I naively expected that my current case is the most common
case.  What do other people do, then?

--
Tim McDaniel is tmcd@xxxxxxxx; if that fail,
    tmcd@xxxxxxxxxx is my work account.