Re: [leafnode-list] groupinfo not updated

You wrote on Freitag, 19. Januar 2001 12:52:
>Hi,
>
>Answering my on mail ;-)
>
>I wrote
>
>> - no changes in config (besides debugmode=1)
>
>this is not totally true:
>I had changed
>
>    fetchnews --vv >> log

>    unbuffer fetchnews --vv >> log
>
>and this is causing groupinfo (and active.read) not to be updated.

Where do you have this command?  I think this has nothing to do with the
groupinfo!

Maybe you have my last problem reversed:  My groupinfo was downloaded every
time -- very time consuming.

So (with a little help) I found:
- there is an option to change the time between two full downloads of the
  groupinfo list: timeout_active
- the file /var/spool/news/active.read has the timestamp of the last full
  download of the active list (groupinfo).  So leafnode must be able to
  change this file (the directory /var/spool/news has to have the proper
  permissions)  Maybe the new installation has changed the directory
  permissions so that the option "timeout_active" can make what it is
  proposed to -- so, maybe, before it was not working correctly and now is
  ;-)

and to help you further:  new groups are only found if the server makes a
message about them (that's what the message "Getting new newsgroups from
News.CIS.DFN.DE" says) -- and without reading the source, I would say:
leafnode doesn't take a look at his groupinfo when asking for new groups
(otherwise the action has to be called unknown groups, hasn't it?)

Hope this helps
Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx