Re: [leafnode-list] inetd.conf vs xinetd.d

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 10:54:10AM -0600, Dennis W. Bulgrien wrote:
> secure replacement for inetd, of which I am not very familiar.  Could one of
> you validate the following translations of leafnode-2.0b8 README 2.9
> inetd.conf suggestions to xinetd.d?
>
> nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  news    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/local/sbin/leafnode
>
> service nntp
> {
>         disable = no
>         flags           = NAMEINARGS REUSE

You don't need NAMEINARGS, see below (I don't know about REUSE).

>         only_from       = 192.168.128.0

If that is your subnet, ok. hosts.allow and hosts.deny continue
to work.

>         port            = 119
>         protocol        = tcp
>         socket_type     = stream
>         server          = /usr/sbin/tcpd

And the point is the even continue to work without tcpd. So you
can set

server = /usr/local/sbin/leafnode

>         server_args     = /usr/local/sbin/leafnode

and delete the server_args line.

>         type            = UNLISTED

Not necessary if nntp is listed in /etc/services (It should be).

>         user            = news
>         wait            = no
>         log_on_failure  += USERID	# ?

Don't know either comment it out if you have problems.

> }
> nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  news    /usr/local/sbin/leafnode

You don't want this.

My xinetd.conf looks like this:

service nntp
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = news
	    server          = /usr/local/sbin/leafnode
        cps 			= 10 600
}

With hosts.deny
ALL:ALL

hosts.allow
ALL:LOCAL

HTH,
	Jo:rg

--
Fortune cookie of the day:
A boy can learn a lot from a dog: obedience, loyalty, and the importance