Re: [leafnode-list] Local newsgroups possible with leafnode-2.0b7 ?

krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cornelius Krasel) writes:

> Joerg Dietrich wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 10:47:41AM +0100, Cornelius Krasel wrote:
>> > Under that perspective, getxover() has to be called every time something
>> > from the .overview data is requested. Or do I overlook something?

That is unnecessary. Wilhelm Meier's problem results from leafnode
showing a new article in its reply to the GROUP command, but being
unable to give an XOVER of that article, which makes the newsreader
think an article with that number doesn't exist (and will never
exist).

The current getxover() is slow on large groups, and some newsreaders
(Gnus) may issue multiple XOVER commands if there are holes in the
desired article range, so I wouldn't like unnessecary getxover()
calls.  Couldn't getxover() first compare the timestamps of the
overview file and the group directory?

>> Isn't that already done? From nntpd.c/doxover():
>>
>>    if ( !pseudogroup ) {
>>        if ( xovergroup != group && getxover() )
>>            xovergroup = group;

That is generally sufficient, because most newsreaders will only
request XOVER records for article numbers they have received from a
LIST or GROUP command.

> Therefore I suggested to write the code as
>
>     if ( !pseudogroup ) {
> 	if ( getxover() )
>
> and omit xovergroup altogether.

Then getxover() should avoid those mostly useless directory walks.

Stefan