Re: [leafnode-list] Local newsgroups possible with leafnode-2.0b7 ?

Stefan Wiens wrote:

[ensuring reading/updating of .overview file]

> krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cornelius Krasel) writes:
> > Stefan Wiens wrote:
> >> This coul be changed by setting xovergroup to NULL after group
> >> selection in nntpd.c:dogroup().

As far as I can see, the whole reason for the "xovergroup" variable
is to avoid re-reading the overview file over and over again. Setting
xovergroup to NULL after group selection and reading the overview
file would therefore be equivalent to removing "xovergroup" from
the code altogether. (While this would make the nntpd somewhat
slower, I think that with the speed of current HDs it would not slow
down the nntpd significantly.)

> > I think it would be even more sensible to set xovergroup to NULL after
> > posting the article. The following patch for 2.0b8 does this:

[...]

> Suppose one user is reading a group while another one posts an article
> into it:
>
> After issuing a GROUP command that doesn't actually change the current
> group, this user will get new active information (containing the new
> article), but outdated overview information.

Under that perspective, getxover() has to be called every time something
from the .overview data is requested. Or do I overlook something?

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */