Re: [leafnode-list] Can fetchnews un-buffer stdout?

Matthias Andree <ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> You mean: that's why stdio is not really suited for network
> applications? That's what it boils down to.

I built a line-buffered leafnode.
On a P200 Box with Linux 2.2.17, the full-buffered version transmits
5.6 MB/s after LIST ACTIVE, the line-buffered one 2.6 MB/s.
In either case, CPU power limits the data rate:
Both cause 99% CPU load; I think stdio isn't the only reason.

Most interesting, line buffered mode actually results in larger
average packet size. There seems to be some additional buffering in
the kernel. ;-)

> Systems that support it (Linux, FreeBSD) should use sendfile anyways to
> reduce copying things around.

Leafnode's no FTP server. ;-)

Stefan