Re: [leafnode-list] Leafnode-Problem: [Translation into English]

Translation into English by Alan Mackenzie.

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Hannes Lau wrote:

>Hallo Cornelius,

>Ich bitte um Entschuldigung, dass ich mich direkt an Dich wende und nicht
>ueber die Mailing-Liste von Leafnode mein Problem schildere (da ich
>befuerchte, mich auf english nicht so genau/perfekt ausdruecken zu koennen).

Please forgive me for writing direct to you about my problem rather than
to the Leafnode mailing list. (I rather doubt I'd be able to express
myself so exactly in English.)

>Dies ist das System: Linux-kernel-2.2.14 mit debian-2.2 (potato-frozen),
>leafnode-1.9.9-4 und slrn-0.9.6.2-7. Bis vor wenigen Tagen lief eigentlich
>alles prima, leider tut es dies seit IMO 01/01/01 nicht mehr. Es kommen kaum
>noch Artikel hier an. An der Konfiguration habe ich nichts geandert (warum
>auch) und in den Log-Dateien ist nichts zu finden (/var/log/messages bzw.
>/var/log/syslog, /var/log/news/* enthaelt nichtssagende, leere Dateien).
>So sieht der Verbindungsaufbau derzeit aus:

This is my system: Linux-kernel-2.2.14 and debian-2.2 (potato-frozen),
leafnode-1.9.9-4 and slrn-0.9.6.2-7. Up until a few days ago everything
was running fine, but unfortunately it hasn't managed it since (IMO)
1/1/01.  Hardly any articles are now making it to me. I haven't changed
anything in the configuration (why would I?) and I can't see anything of
note in the log files (/var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog,
/var/log/news/* contains unhelpful empty files). The connection process
at the moment looks like this:

>17:05:58root@penti600:/home/hannes# fetchnews -vvvv
>1.9.9: verbosity level is 4
>Trying to connect to news.pop.debitel.net ... connected.
>Getting new newsgroups from news.pop.debitel.net
>Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/news.pop.debitel.net
>comp.mail.mutt: considering articles 7062-7261
>de.comp.os.unix.discussion: no new articles
>de.comp.os.unix.networking.misc: considering articles 818-1082
>de.comp.os.unix.linux.infos: no new articles
>hanse.linux: no new articles
>de.comp.os.unix.linux.moderated: considering articles 3866-3947
>de.comp.os.unix.networking: no new articles
>de.comm.software.mailserver: considering articles 12197-12370
>debitel.net.newusers.questions: no new articles
>de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware: considering articles 73910-74209
>Disconnected from news.pop.debitel.net.

>Also sind doch IMO Artikel da (oder sehe ich das falsch), leider kommt
>hier nix an :-(
>Die Zeit ist auch viel zu knapp, als dass da eine solche Menge Artikel
>gefetcht worden sein sollen:

So there are certainly articles there (or am I missing something?), but
sadly nothing's getting through to me :-(
What's more, there wasn't nearly enough time for this number of articles
to have been fetched:

>--> PPP negotiation detected.
>--> Starting pppd at Mon Jan  8 17:06:25 2001
>Caught signal #2!  Attempting to exit gracefully...
>--> Disconnecting at Mon Jan  8 17:07:04 2001

>Leider weiss ich nun gar nicht, woran das liegen koennte. Koennte es sein,
>dass hier eventuell der Provider die Gruppen nicht mehr vorhaelt und
>deswegen da nix mehr kommt? Die Verbindung zum upstream-newsserver klappt
>ja. Ein fetchnews -f lieferte mir die aktuellen news-groups, komischerweise
>waren (bis auf eine) alle meine zu dem Zeitpunkt abonnierten NG's ganz unten
>angehaengt (bei Anzeige mit dem slrn).

Unfortunately I've no idea what could be causing this. Could it possibly
be that the Provider isn't carrying the groups any more, and that's why
I'm not getting anything? The connection to the upstream newsserver is
OK. fetchnews -f gets me the current newsgroups, but for some strange
reason, all the NGs I was subscribed to (apart from one) were put right
at the bottom (as viewed from slrn).

>Danke fuer Antwort im voraus.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

--