Re: [leafnode-list] Leafnode-2.0b8 truncates posted article

Stefan Wiens <s.wi@xxxxxxx> writes:

[truncated message]

Argh, there is another broken system around...

Here is my complete message, with the offending part quoted:

Hi,

When posting an article, leafnode may truncate the locally stored
version:

,----
| stefan@xenon:~$ nc localhost nntp
| 200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, version 2.0b8 running at xenon.eswe.dyndns.org
| POST
| 340 Ok, recommended ID <cgik59.nqp.ln@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Newsgroups: local.test
| From: Stefan Wiens <s.wi@xxxxxxx>
| Subject: Leafnode will truncate this article
|
| Line #1
| ..
| Line #3 will not show up in stored article.
| .
| 240 Article posted, now be patient
| GROUP local.test
| 211 992 2 91748 local.test group selected
| ARTICLE 91748
| 220 91748 <to-be-truncated-01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> article retrieved - text fo
| llows
| Newsgroups: local.test
| From: Stefan Wiens <s.wi@xxxxxxx>
| Subject: Leafnode will truncate this article
| Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:46:10 +0100
|
| Line #1
| .
| QUIT
| 205 Always happy to serve!
| stefan@xenon:~$
`----

Note that if posting to a non-local group, the out.going version will
be complete, so there will exist different versions of the message.

This happens because storearticle() gets the message with doubled
leading periods already stripped, but still recognizes a line
containing a single period as end of text. rnews will also suffer from
this flaw.

Stefan