Re: [leafnode-list] local groups, use as archive

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:48:14 +0000 (GMT), phil hunt wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Volker Apelt wrote:
>> Is it possible to use the local groups feature of leafnode
>> as a archive, too?
>>
>> The idea is to have your Reader save all interesting messages
>> in a queue directory. A cron job (rewriter) takes all files
>> from the queue, prepends a "SAFE." in front of all newsgroups
>> _and_ all group reference urls inside the message and moves
>> them to a rnews_queue dir, where (cron job) rnews takes
>> them and merges them into the local spool.
>>
>> One advantage is the central archive, which is reachable
>> no matter what Reader & OS your are using now.
>>
>> What do you think about this concept ?
>
>I would like to see a feature where all my newgroup posts are
>automatically archived. If this can be achieved through leafnode, I think
>it would be a useful feature (though there is always the problem of
>creeping featuritis -- I'm not sure if it is better to implement this
>inside leafnode or some other way).

fetchnews could move the raw message from out.going to a new
sent.messages  directory instead of unlinking them.

>I have thought of the idea of leafnode allowing a user-definable script
>being run on every outgoing post before it is sent; this could be used to
>archive the posts. It could also be used to spam-block outgoing posts, or
>other purposes.

A wrapper script that manages the start of fetchnews could do
that, too.

#!/bin/pseudo_code
process messages in out.going
run fetchnews
process messages in sent.messages

. or such

>I like the idea of being able to access archived posts by nntp.

One problem will be rfc threading of mail messages. There is
no message-id: line in mails and no xref: .
Threading on subject: it the only way to collect a thread
of mails.

>> I'd like to have my own local namespace (prefix), that will
>> never collide with the names for world wide groups.
>> Which Prefix should I choose for the "SAFE." string. Is
>> there any sequence, that is not allowed,  guaranteed not
>> appeare for official (world wide) groups, and is
>> guaranteed to be usable by conforming news readers?
>
>How about starting with a '-' such as '-safe.whatever'; would
>this work?

'-' as prefix sounds good. '-' is part of many group names,
so this character must be allowed. I'll look into the RFC
whether it is dissallowed for the first character of a groupname
and report success to the list later.
Currently I don't have a working leafnode installation.
(see the other thread)

Thanks

Volker

--
Volker Apelt               Group of Prof. Dr. Ch. Griesinger
                           Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitaet