Re: [leafnode-list] local groups, use as archive

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Volker Apelt wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:48:14 +0000 (GMT), phil hunt wrote:
> >On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Volker Apelt wrote:
> >> One advantage is the central archive, which is reachable
> >> no matter what Reader & OS your are using now.
> >>
> >> What do you think about this concept ?
> >
> >I would like to see a feature where all my newgroup posts are
> >automatically archived. If this can be achieved through leafnode, I think
> >it would be a useful feature (though there is always the problem of
> >creeping featuritis -- I'm not sure if it is better to implement this
> >inside leafnode or some other way).
>
> fetchnews could move the raw message from out.going to a new
> sent.messages  directory instead of unlinking them.

That would be efficient.

> >I have thought of the idea of leafnode allowing a user-definable script
> >being run on every outgoing post before it is sent; this could be used to
> >archive the posts. It could also be used to spam-block outgoing posts, or
> >other purposes.
>
> A wrapper script that manages the start of fetchnews could do
> that, too.
>
> #!/bin/pseudo_code
> process messages in out.going
> run fetchnews
> process messages in sent.messages

Yes, I've got one of those, except that it just processes the
messages, it doesn't run fetchnews as well.

> >How about starting with a '-' such as '-safe.whatever'; would
> >this work?
>
> '-' as prefix sounds good. '-' is part of many group names,
> so this character must be allowed. I'll look into the RFC
> whether it is dissallowed for the first character of a groupname
> and report success to the list later.
> Currently I don't have a working leafnode installation.
> (see the other thread)

Does anyone have a regex for valid newsgroup names? I'm in need of
a function  (in PHP for my leafwa program) that validates NG names
that a user types in.

--
***** Phil Hunt *****
"An unforseen issue has arisen with your computer. Don't worry your silly