Re: [leafnode-list] local groups, use as archive

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> phil hunt <philh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I would like to see a feature where all my newgroup posts are
> > automatically archived.
> ..
> > I have thought of the idea of leafnode allowing a user-definable
> > script being run on every outgoing post before it is sent; this
> > could be used to archive the posts. It could also be used to
> > spam-block outgoing posts, or other purposes.
>
> I currently do both of these with a lovingly hand-crafted wrapper
> script.  I would indeed rather see some leafnode support, because
> I think leafnode was being called elsewhere (some rc.d, maybe?  PPP
> startup?  I don't recall at the moment) directly and not by my
> script.

That's a good point. It doesn't affect me at my setup, because
fetchnews is always started manually by me when I log on.

Perhaps there could be an option in the leafnode config file:

   execute_script_before_posting = some_script_name %s

(There could optionally be more than one such line; in which
case multiple scripts would be run).
And then, before it starts posting anything, fetchnews will
run, for each message in the news queue:

   some_script_name <pathname-of-message-file>

or some similar system -- what do people think?

--
***** Phil Hunt *****
"An unforseen issue has arisen with your computer. Don't worry your silly