Re: [leafnode-list] fetchnews: slow and hung

Karsten Self wrote:

> Running Debian/Sid, with leafnode version: 1.9.18-3, ISP is Mindspring,
> newserver news.earthlink.net.
>
> I'm finding that news downloads with fetchnews (about 76 groups, mostly
> comp.*, active), are slow, and that fetchnews often seems to hang.

fetchnews is very bad at detecting dropped connections, I am afraid.
The 1.9.18 package is rather slow in general, partly because it uses
XHDR (this is a problem if your upstream server uses INN) and partly
because it needs two commands to fetch every single article (HEAD
and BODY). The XHDR problem can be ameliorated by switching to
Matthias Andree's patched version 1.9.18ma4 which is available from
http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/leafnode/testing/ , or
you can try the latest leafnode-2.0b which is currently leafnode-2.0b8,
available from ftp://wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de/pub/ . However,
2.0b8 still has serious problems with dropped connections.

> I'd also like to know how to get a metric for throughput to the server
> on article downloads.

Not possible so far (except in the 2.0b8).

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */