Header munging (was Re: [leafnode-list] fetchnews: slow and hung)

on Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 12:21:13PM +0100, Matthias Andree (ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> This mail by Karsten M. Self had *NO* boundary parameter, it's
> technically broken and cannot be displayed by e. g. Gnus, it's broken in
> mutt 1.2. Might be a bug in mutt/1.3.12i, I'm not sure, I'm not tracking
> the developer's version of mutt, or it might be some mail relay does not
> cope with folded lines. mutt/1.3.12i is superseded by 1.3.16i AFAICT.
>
> The broken header is:

> It should have been

> After insertion of that header, the mail is still broken, it lacks the
> "protocol" parameter required by multipart/signed.
>

> Karsten, can you please fix your mailer and resend that mail?

Note:  I procmail filter messages.  CC's typically get filed to list
rather than my inbox.  I only check leafnode a few times a week.  If
you've got a personal message for me, send it directly to me, not as a
CC.  If anyone has a procmail recipie to pick up CCs and dispose of them
differently, I'm more than happy to hear about it.

I've confirmed this is not my mailer.  Posts to other lists *do* have
the full MIME header, though it spills to two lines.  I suspect a
listserver bug.

I've had problems with RFC 2015 compliance issues with other list
managers, notably LISTSERV, which translates tabs to spaces in signed
content, corrupting signature hashes.  Mutt itself is written by the
author of RFC 2015, Michael Elkins, and I'd tend to suspect that of any
MUA, its own compliance is highly probable.

I'm running Debian/Sid (unstable), the latest version of mutt available
is 1.3.15-2.  I'd held back mutt due to some conflicts a ways back, am
currently upgrading.

I'd suggest filing this as a bug against the Berolist maintainer.

This message signed inline.

- --
Karsten M. Self <kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/