[leafnode-list] Re: Welcome to leafnode-list@wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de

Preface: I have leafnode and INN on the same machine, but not sharing
the spool. I use separate directories, and the rnews commands are in
different paths (currently, /usr/local/sbin for leafnode's rnews and
/usr/lib/news/bin for INN's rnews). I'm using SuSE Linux 7.0 currently.

Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman <bsd@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 2001-04-09 Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman <bsd@xxxxxxxxxx>
> - Major -
> 	* rnews: the name rnews conflicts with INN, hence changed its name
> 	to 'snews' now. I feel that testing and debugging would a lot easy,
> 	if we could run along this beta 'Leafnode' and INN on same machine
> 	simultaneously. Please correct me, I perhaps, may be wrong.

Isn't the r for receive? If so, rnews_leafnode or rnews-ln might be
suggestions worthwhile considering.

> 	Added a new directory /var/spool/leafnode/cached.groups, for better
> 	administration, and looking at the things. Same here, isn't it more
> 	elegant to keep the leafnode news spool separate from INN and avoid
> 	unwanted conflicts in future.

What's supposed to be in there? I don't quite get the idea of this
directory. "Better administration" is too faint a description for me.

> - General -
>
> 	Reformatted this ChangeLog, if you too use 'mcedit' you will love
> 	it, though it may not suit others.

I prefer emacs and use vim 5.7 from time to time, but if we all start
reformatting the ChangeLog, we'll end up in a mess. I'd like to see the
ChangeLog in the format GNU software commonly uses (example below), your
format deviates from that; mcedit however is also happy with GNU-format
ChangeLog files (and I'd like to see all the world use ISO 8601 date
format, but that is probably not going to happen this decade).

However, the Emacs Outline mode may be useful (it can hide text below a
certain structuring level (chapter/section/subsection/...) from your
view to maintain the overview).

> 	* texpire.cron: created a small script, putting this in directory
> 	/etc/cron.weekly or the like could be useful to automate running
> 	'texpire' weekly. Copy it by hand to an appropriate place.

Is that actually more than this?

        #! /bin/sh
        exec /path/to/texpire

Here's the GNU ChangeLog example mentioned above (from my yet unreleased
2.0b8_ma3):
2001-04-09  Matthias Andree  <matthias.andree@xxxxxx>

	* fix tons of memory leaks

2001-04-08  Matthias Andree  <matthias.andree@xxxxxx>

	* artutil.c (supersede_cancel): also remove article from out.going
	(supersede_cancel): renamed from supersede
	(fgetheader): additional parameter to suppress rewinding
	(cancel): new function
	(check_supersede_cancel): new function, checks for Supersedes: and
	Control: cancel header in a given article file and does
	appropriate action. NO VALIDATION CURRENTLY.

	* activutil.c (findgroup): uses bsearch instead of helpfindgroup now.

	* dirutil.c (DIRLIST_ALLNUM): new, to get directory list of all
	files that consist only of digits