Re: [leafnode-list] Problem with texpire

Stefan Wiens <s.wi@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> What do you think about the following policy:
>
>   All subdirectories under /var/spool/news whose name is a valid
>   newsgroup name are considered for expiry. The only character that
>   will never show up in a group name is ".". (lost+found is also
>   excluded.)

That is how subdirs in the /var/spool/news directory are currently
handled implicitely (if somebody ever wondered why the directories
are called "failed.postings", "interesting.groups", "leaf.node",
"message.id" and "out.going"). It is even true for files (i.e.
"active.read").

> Descending the entire spooldir would normally require stat()ing each
> filename, but that would be unacceptable.

texpire currently stats every file anyway (to find out its mtime), therefore
it may not be as bad as you think.

BTW, I agree with your sentiments about the tradspool format.

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */