Re: [leafnode-list] Problem with texpire

krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cornelius Krasel) writes:

> Stefan Wiens wrote:
>
>> The online version is an MS-D0G text file; how did those ugly
>> '^M's get into it?
>
> I don't have any ^M's in the local copy. If you downloaded the file
> as ASCII on a Windows machine, you'll get those.

Sorry, my fault. I downloaded it with wget through an HTTP proxy. :-(
gzip rulez ;-)

>> Thanks also for fixing the sprintf() stuff. I was concerned about
>> portability of using PATH_MAX for allocating a fixed-size buffer, and
>> left these incomplete. Is PATH_MAX guaranteed to be reasonably small
>> on all target systems?
>
> IIRC, POSIX says that PATH_MAX must be at least 255 chars large. On
> Linux, I have been told that PATH_MAX is 4096 chars in size. I don't
> know whether that fits your definition of "reasonably small" :-)

"reasonably small" means it is suitable for "allocating"
char buffer[PATH_MAX] on the stack when needed. So we could get rid of
that error-prone global char s[] in miscutil.c. IMHO 4KB don't hurt.

>> Thread gathering is incomplete with 2.0b8 xoverutil.c. It generates
>> broken overview lines (spurious '\t' characters).
>
> I have not yet run across one of these, but I have to confess I didn't
> look very hard.

Some examples:
<9h7f0h$cjnq0$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> I just posted to de.test.
<98536i$bj2r$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> in de.admin.news.misc,
<a5f.3b2e5df5.c@xxxxxxxxxxxx> in de.admin.news.groups,
<3b29b4f0.2308103@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> in de.admin.net-abuse.mail.

To find broken overview lines:
find /var/spool/news -name .overview | \
        xargs awk -v FS="\t" '{if(NF>9)print FILENAME" "$0}'

Does anyone have an idea how to expire groups which have vanished from
groupinfo?
Descending the entire /var/spool/news tree (except message.id/ etc.)
is not advisable; there might be an unknown subdirectory that better
should not be touched.
Still existing top-level hierarchies could be guessed from groupinfo,
which is IMHO safe; but what to do with vanished TLHs?

Stefan