Re: [leafnode-list] no answer at localhost:119

<mathias.ruppel@xxxxxx> writes:

> I installed leafnode successfully on a SuSE 7.1 System; Netscape is able
> to use localhost as NewsServer. fetchnews also works correctly. But tin
> complains that there are no groups available,

tin may have troubles with the active file.

Try using NNTP rather than local spool mode:

        rtin -g localhost

And now for the bashing:

> telnet localhost:119 results returns a hostname lookup failure

        READ THE FINE MANUAL!

        man telnet
        http://localhost:6711/man?p=telnet

> And, my real problem, I don't manage to get information about the
> available newsgroups with a PHP-Script containing
>
> $nntp = imap_open("{localhost:119}de.comp.lang.c","","");
>
> Any idea about what is wrong or not yet configured ?

        Pilot error.

        READ THE FINE MANUAL!

        http://php3.de/manual-lookup.php?pattern=imap_open (German)
        http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.imap-open.php (English)

(Note: it took me less than a minute to figure that out, I had NEVER
learned or tried PHP until that point.)

And don't bother the leafnode list with your PHP incapability again,
thank you.