Re: [leafnode-list] Newbie Leafnode questions

Shaun Campbell <Shaun.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 503 Unable to determine hostname by gethostbyaddr, exiting (Success)

> Someone reported this problem a few months ago and claimed it was related to
> inet and xinet which 7.1 has.  I am not too familiar with these so I am not
> sure whether this is the case although our Linux expert says that everything
> should work with xinet.

xinetd IPv6 support is somewhat strange, but I never actually tested
things with xinet IPv6, but that's what I could imagine as point of
failure.

As a test, would you try this:

a) from http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html, fetch the current package and
install (it drops some files into /usr/local/bin)

b) disable nntp in your xinetd configuration, give xinetd a SIGUSR1 so
it re-reads its configuration

c) run

        /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -HRv 0 119 \
        /usr/local/bin/argv0 /usr/sbin/tcpd \
        /usr/local/sbin/leafnode

Adjust the paths as required, particularly the path to tcpd and
leafnode. Note that tcpserver does not detach.

If that kills your problem, it's likely to be inetd or xinetd.
If that does NOT help, we need further investigation.