Re: [leafnode-list] lockfile_exists disaster, analysis of 1.9.19 and

Cornelius Krasel writes:

> I suppose you refer to the following sentence of the open(2)
> manpage which I do not immediately understand:
>
>                The  solution  for  performing
>                atomic file locking using a lockfile is to  create
>                a  unique file on the same fs (e.g., incorporating
>                hostname and pid), use link(2) to make a  link  to
>                the  lockfile.  If  link()  returns 0, the lock is
>                successful.  Otherwise, use stat(2) on the  unique
>                file  to  check if its link count has increased to
>                2, in which case the lock is also successful.
>
> Why should link() fail in the first place?

link() will fail if the lockfile already exists.  If the filesystem is
NFS mounted, it's possible for the client and/or the server to retry the
operation and return a failure status even though the original operation
succeeded; that's why you need to check the link count in that case.

-Larry Jones

But Mom, frogs are our FRIENDS! -- Calvin