Re: [leafnode-list] Re: Permissions

On Tuesday 29 May 2001 11:58 am, you wrote:
> krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cornelius Krasel) writes:
> > I don't know anything about sendfile, but my manpage says:
>
> sendfile requests that the kernel sends out a file to a file
> descriptor or copies a file from one descriptor to another,
> depending on the OS. The major plus is that this reduces copying
> which may help slow machines.
>
> I know that at least Linux 2.2/2.4 and FreeBSD 4 support sendfile
> and I presume these two are most common for leafnode.

I expect you are probably right there. These days about 50% of
boxes running Unix-like OSes, run Linux. But that's irrelevant:
Leafnode should continue to be compatible with all Unices, IMO.
There may well be performance speedups using sendfile, but as
long as performance is good enough, it is less importance than
compatibility. (What's the use of a program that's really fast, if
you can't get it running on your box). I use an oldish 300 MHz box,
and leafnode is fast enough for me - the limitation I have is the
speed of my modem.

Since I expect most Leafnode users have a slow Internet connection
via modem, speed of Leafnode probably isn't overly important. It's
nice to be fast, but not at the expense of making it incompatible.

> > > #2 When leafnode gets local groups that are restricted by user
> > > id (not currently implemented), protecting the spool from the
> > > public may become a necessity.
> >
> > True. I did not think of that.
>
> Plus, we can do to the spool format whatever we want. Cowardly
> switch to mysql or postgresql or something (-: <ducks and runs for
> cover>

Yuk, pass the sick bucket please.