Re: [leafnode-list] Re: Permissions

phil hunt <philh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > #1 We can play whatever games we like on the data base format. We could,
> >    e. g., store the articles readily escaped (dots at line start) for
> >    NNTP, and send them out using sendfile on Linux and FreeBSD. We would
> >    save all the gory line-oriented reading and writing.
>
> I hope not; this would break Leafwa.

Hum, I never had a look at that, but I'm sure we could negotiate on a
way to still hook leafwa in.

> That's a good point. But are you sure you want to implement that in
> Leafnode? If you use the philosophy of "do one thing and do it well",
> then it seems to me that nntp servers aren't really about sending messages
> to select groups of people only. If you want to do that, a closed mailing
> list approach might be better.

True, but doesn't INN's nnrpd offer a similar approach?

> (Of course a groupware package that allows local groups that can then be
> accessed by email, nntp or http might be the best solution for that sort
> of problem. And I suppose Leafnode could be changed to fit in that rol.
> But IMO, Leafnode's main purpose should continue to be a leaf node
> for small sites.)

Leafnode suits a really small no-feature local newsgroup setup well, so
why not consider it? Features like these are still a lot simpler than
getting the groupinfo updates right without locking.