[leafnode-list] Initialfetch and maxfetch

Hi all,
i installed leafnode 1.9,17, and i noticed that if
the initialfetch value is greater than the maxfetch one
(on my sys
initialfetch=2500
maxfetch=1000
)
the initialfetch is ignored, and fetchnews retirieves only maxfetch
articles.
But this seems not correct to me, because if I want to start
a new newsg with something to read, i'd like to download for the first
time as many articles i want.
Is it possible to tell leafnode wheter a newsgroup has been already
fetched almost one time or not, so it can choose what value to use
between maxfatch and initialfetch?

PS : as I'm quite a newbie, may be also that, my exceptions are not
interesting, but if they are please answer.

Ciao!!!