Re: [leafnode-list] New Work In Progress Snapshot of 2.0b8_ma series

Matthias Andree wrote:
> What newsreaders rely on XGTITLE rather than LIST NEWSGROUP?

As far as I can see, the nntpd never supported XGTITLE (the only
indication being the line

/*  printf("  xgtitle [group_pattern]\r\n"); */

in dohelp() which is clearly not used :-). Fetchnews, on the other
hand, supports XGTITLE, and I have come across a few rather exotic news
*servers* (sorry, don't remember their names) which indeed yielded
a sensible result for an XGTITLE query.

I have not looked at the code yet so I don't know whether Matthias is
indeed talking about the nntpd (implied by his question above) or
fetchnews and where he dropped the XGTITLE support.

If we are talking about XGTITLE support in fetchnews, one could discuss
whether it would be sensible to use LIST NEWSGROUP first and fall back
to XGTITLE later. However, news servers that use XGTITLE will most
likely not parse LIST NEWSGROUP correctly and return the list of all
newsgroups, so this is likely to result in more traffic.

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */