Re: [leafnode-list] need help with cygwin port

Alexander Reinwarth <alexander@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Well, I, being not involved in the leafnode-development and not
> knowing the sources, regard cygwin as just another platform leafnode
> could run on, if someone takes his time and tries to port it.

Yes. But CygWin lacks vast parts of the security partitioning Unix
offers, especially on FAT file systems and DOS-based Windows
(9x/ME). That will have an impact on reliability and security, since you
cannot play all the nice security tricks such as chroot, setuid (the
syscall, not the flag) and stuff. I'd like to see numbers, does anyone
know how the distribution of CygWin over Win 9x/ME vs. NT/2000 is?

> As XEmacs, which has a code base which is slightly larger than
> leafnode's, has been ported to cygwin I do not see a reason not to try
> it.

NTEmacs? Is that a native port or a CygWin port?

> Well, it is Gerrit's time which is spent on the port, so why don't we
> let him decide if it is worth it? ;)

Not entirely, we have exchanged several mail "behind your backs" :-)

> Btw: I presently use Hamster on a laptop my company handed over to me
> and I must say that it is really one of the most reliable pieces of
> software I saw running on a windows-machine.

That's good. Would your company allow a dual-boot notebook? Some do.