Re: [leafnode-list] need help with cygwin port

Matthias Andree <ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit.haase@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Matthias Andree schrieb am 2001-05-05, 4:09:

> I don't object to ports of a good shell and FSF utilities to
> Windows, vim is a nice fellow, but you simply cannot do everything
> with Windows that you can with a Real Unix.

Well, I, being not involved in the leafnode-development and not
knowing the sources, regard cygwin as just another platform leafnode
could run on, if someone takes his time and tries to port it.

As XEmacs, which has a code base which is slightly larger than
leafnode's, has been ported to cygwin I do not see a reason not to try
it.

>>> Did you evaluate "Hamster"?

>> No, i'm not able to build it myself, because it is pascal, i don't
>> like delphi/pascal.

> You're supposed to see if it does the job instead of leafnode, not if
> you like its programming language. Hamster is claimed to actually work
> on Windows natively... and if it's done in Delphi, what's the problem
> with that?

Well, it is Gerrit's time which is spent on the port, so why don't we
let him decide if it is worth it? ;)

Btw: I presently use Hamster on a laptop my company handed over to me
and I must say that it is really one of the most reliable pieces of
software I saw running on a windows-machine. Yet, as I heavily use the
cygwin environment, I had preferred to install leafnode there. Call me
lazy, but I would have liked to avoid learning to configure yet
another news-server.

>> only way to survive is NT with cygwin on top.

Yup.

HAND,

Alexander
--