Re: [leafnode-list] retrieving threads

Jim Hague <jim.hague@xxxxxxx> writes:

> XOVER is the same Done Properly. As to what Gnus is up to, GOK. Maybe
> it's trying to find /var/spool/news/the/news/group/.overview. Does
> leafnode have such a file? Maybe, if so, Gnus is finding it and trying
> to interpret the contents as a NOV overview database. Or something. I
> wonder if NOV is a build option (or whatever) on Gnus (I think I saw
> it last time I built trn), so some people see trouble, others don't.

I had a quick glance over nntp.el (Gnus v5.8.8) recently, and when it
says "NOV", it refers to the XOVER command. If that fails -- e. g. for a
missing .overview (though I'm wondering how that can happen, I'd like to
know the leafnode version), and replies 4xx or 5xx, Gnus thinks the
server does not support XOVER and reports it has trouble with NOV and
marks the current server as not supporting NOV, so it will not retry
XOVER until it [Gnus] is restarted. In Gnus, try pressing s, then R
(mind the capitalization) from the group overview buffer.

That should sum up all the confusion we're seeing.

As consequence, nothing needs to be added to leafnode in respect to
"NOV", everything is there. It's just a matter to track which response
Gnus has seen.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin