Re: [leafnode-list] Re[3]: leafnode 2.0b8_ma7.1pre available

Volker Apelt <volker_apelt@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 01 Oct 2001 00:51:35 +0200 Matthias Andree <ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Raymond Scholz <rscholz@xxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > Oldest article in de.alt.netdigest now is from 29th April 2001.  Same
> > > for other groups with groupexpire of 365 days.  Eeek, I lost half of
> > > my news archive :-(  Well, groups.google.com exists and it's not a
> > > production system anyway.
> >
> > <HINT> You're making backups when testing alpha software, don't you?
>
> Oh no, that's cheating, isn't it?
>
> Is there some way to feed old messages back to an existing news spool?

Grab rnews of an old leafnode version and use that. My current pre
versions come without it, because I tried to fix it, broke it, and
postponed the real fix until after store() had stabilized.

However, it looks like store() promotes the "in case of trouble, delete
offending article" policy more aggressively than what's good, so it may
need further changes to store() and/or texpire to reduce the chance of
loss.

Good ideas are always welcome.

I need to think about the APIs some more to cater for users moving their
spools around without the --no-dereference (-d, cp) or --hard-links
(rsync) options.

As an interim solution, using texpire from 2.0b8_ma7 with the rest of
2.0b8_ma7.3pre should be safe, so is running texpire of 7.3pre in
dry-run mode.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin