Re: [leafnode-list] Unexpected behaviour of fetchnews -vvv

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Cornelius Krasel wrote:

>Alan Mckenzie wrote:

>> [leafnode 1.9.19 on Linux]

>> In the last day or two, I've been seeing strange output on my screen on
>> typing fetchnews -vvv:  The following is a sample:

>[...]

>> rec.juggling: receiving article 65829 (6 more up in the air)
>> storing <datachow-2908010820340001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> rec.juggling
>> .as article 24037 in rec.juggling
>> .as article 24038 in rec.juggling
>> .as article 24039 in rec.juggling
>> .as article 24040 in rec.juggling

>> What is unexpected is the lack of lines like "storing <...>" between
>> the "..as article ..... in rec.juggling".

>This means that fetchnews first attempted to store the article as 24037
>(because - according to the groupinfo file - this should be the first
>free number) but already found an article with this number present. In
>this case, it adds one to the article number, tries again. Well, seems
>24038 is also already present, therefore the whole process is repeated
>unless a free number is found.

>So, there is nothing to be worried about, and it should be fixed after
>the next run of fetchnews or texpire (except if one of those crashes).

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to the group on this one.

What happened was, I'd tried to subscribe to a new group, mucev.howto,
whose "top-level" was also new.  leafnode thus tried to create the
directory /var/spool/news/mucev.  Now, my /var/spool/news is a symbolic
link, thus:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 news     news    10 Jun 11 21:36 /var/spool/news -> /mnt/hdb11

/mnt/hdb11 is, sadly, only writable by root:

drwxr-sr-x  25 root     root         1024 Oct  1 07:08 /mnt/hdb11

Once I'd created the directory /var/spool/news/mucev by hand and chowned
it to news, everything started working properly again.  So the whole
problem was caused by my inappropriate directory structure.  However,
maybe leafnode could recover more gracefully from such an error.

--
Alan Mackenzie (München)
acm@xxxxxx