Re: [leafnode-list] Re: tin does not reconnect to newsserver

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 04:40:28PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > Yes, tin is broken. But that's not my point. I replied to your
> > claim that it is unpolite behavior to time out a connection
> > without sending a message.
>
> RFC-977 defines a message code for the discontinuation of service. It is
> not labeled "optional".

You mean this, I suppose:

|In general, 1xx codes may be ignored or displayed as desired;
|code 200 or 201 is sent upon initial connection to the NNTP
|server depending upon posting permission; code 400 will be sent
|when the NNTP server discontinues service (by operator request,
|for example);

But what about:

|If a client simply disconnects (or the connection times out, or
|some other fault occurs), the server should gracefully cease its
|attempts to service the client.

Which introduces some ambiguity in the case of a timeout. The
nntpext working group interpreted this as "send no message in
case of a time out".

Regards,
	Jo:rg

--
       ---===  Encrypted mail welcome. Key-ID: 1024D/2B693EBF  ===---
Fortune cookie of the day: