Re: [leafnode-list] IDEA to fix the "unsubscribing low-traffic groups

Matthias Andree wrote:

> reportedly, leafnode unsubscribes low-traffic groups. If the timeout
> expires without new postings, the group will be removed from
> interesting.groups because it has not been read. (It could not because
> it had no new postings.)
>
> IDEA:
>
> 1. touch a .last.posting file in a newsgroup directory as new incoming
> articles are stored into it.
>
> 2. only unsubscribe the group if .last.posting is ${timeout} days
> in advance relative to the last access. That happens if the last post to
> the group has been unread for ${timeout} days.
>
> However, does the timeout_short/timeout_long fit into that schemes? I
> didn't think about this deeply yet.
>
> Comments appreciated.

For a personal use, I don't consider this feature very useful...
I always use the fetchnews -n flag. :->
To unsubscribe I simply delete the entry in the interesting.groups directory
(under root or news account of course).

Concerning the bug itself, your suggestion seems (for me) to fit into the
timeout_short/timeout_long schemes...

greetings.