[leafnode-list] RELEASE: leafnode 2.0b8_ma8

Hello,

five months after 2.0b8_ma7 had been released, I am releasing leafnode
2.0b8_ma8. I hope this is the last release for 2001. :-)

leafnode 2.0b8_ma8 is a local news server and caching (store & forward
style) NNTP proxy with filtering capabilities.

WARNING: THIS IS NOT A DROP-IN UPGRADE! It changes some things that
require manual upgrading procedures. They are easy, but if omitted,
nothing will work any more. Check the UPDATING file that comes with the
tarball.

2.0b8_ma8 has some new features, among them moderated groups (all
credits for the implementation go to Jörg Dietrich), a dry-run mode in
texpire, and a way to use tcp wrappers to let users post or just
read-only based on their IP (NOPOSTING environment variable, see below),
a dontpost server-specific configuration variable to say "don't ever
post to this server".

For cheat modes, look into the README.html or README and ENVIRONMENT
files that ship with leafnode 2.0b8_ma8.

2.0b8_ma8 also has some bugs and stability issues fixed, among them it
has memory leaks plugged, a more robust filterfile parser, a less
intrusive time zone detection, an inverted newsgroup match logic put
right.

I'd like to say thank you to Jörg Dietrich for his recent work on
moderated groups and his user support, Leopold Tötsch and Raymond Scholz
who sent a lot of bug reports and fixes during the ma8rc* series.

I'd also like to say thank you to everybody who sent bug reports (even
when they did not suspect so) or helped with suggestions, questions,
hints, there are too many people to list here.

Although 2.0b8_ma8 still lacks some things and needs quite some TODO
list items worked out (most notably, documentation), I believe it has
sufficiently stabilized to deserve the "beta version" label again,
without tags such as "pre" or "rc" or something, to give people a
somewhat stable checkpoint release as I am going into more radical
changes again.

The whole changelog comprises over 600 lines and is not reflected here.

leafnode 2.0b8_ma8 is identical to 2.0b8_ma8rc8 except for a small
documentation change in TODO and the version number bump.

Find the changelog and the tarballs in tar.gz and tar.bz2 formats at:

http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/

The tarballs are GPG signed, my key is available from all PGP key
servers. The tar.bz2 is 223 kBytes in size, the tar.gz is 273
kBytes.

Note the RPM build is untested, but that's no big deal because these
versions are beta versions, not intended to be shipped as binary
packages (although the license does permit this, it would be no good and
would create support nightmares).

Have fun.

- --

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin