Re: [leafnode-list] 2.0b8_ma8rc8 - fetchnews blues

Ben Holness schrieb am Freitag, den 28. Dezember 2001:

> I have just installed 2.08b8_ma8rc8 on my system.
>
> No previous version of leafnode existed on my system, however I have been
> using 1.9.19 on a different machine for a while.
>
> It compiles and installs beautifully, but when I run fetchnews, it doesn't
> do anything :(
..
> timeout connecting to news.zen.co.uk
..
> You will notice that there was a timeout connecting to news.zen.co.uk. I can
> telnet to news.zen.co.uk 119 with no difficulty and I can connect directly
> to it with no problems.
>
> Running a packet analyser tells me that fetchnews is is sending packets out,
> but they are nntps (port 563) not nntp.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Do I have to run something before it will all start to work? I have modified
> /etc/services and /etc/xinetd.conf with the relevant values and rebooted (I
> know I probably don't need to reboot, but I haven't had a chnace to lookup
> how to restart services and xinetd yet).

I have a vague imagination of what you did. Please explain all steps you
did after "make install".

0. Which steps of README.html or README did you follow?

1. What does

        grep '^nntp' /etc/services

   print?

2. What does "telnet news.zen.co.uk nntp" (nntp rather than 119) print?

3. What does your xinetd.conf look like? (Paste the global section and
   the leafnode-relevant nntp section)?

4. What does

        grep -v '^#' /etc/leafnode/config

   print? Blank out any passwords and usernames before mailing that.

You should *never* need to change /etc/services.

xinetd.conf and leafnode's fetchnews allow to configure ports --
xinetd.conf determines which port your leafnode server side listens on,
/etc/leafnode/config determines what port fetchnews will connect to. It
will default to whatever your libc figures for "nntp" over tcp, and your
libc looks at /etc/services.