Re: [leafnode-list] Leafnode v.2.08_ma-rc4.

Arne Hanssen schrieb am Mittwoch, den 26. Dezember 2001:

> Finally, I got my standalone*) leafnode news server to work?
> The last two things I did was to set access to 'rwxrwsrwx'
> on all files/dirs in /var/spool/news/ and creating an EMPTY
> ../leaf.node/groupinfo file - and suddenly it worked!  ;-)

Don't make these directories world-writable, they don't even need to be
group-writable. Choose either:

1. belong to user root, group news, group-writable (rwxrwsr-x)

2. belong to user news, user-writable (rwxr-xr-x)

Leafnode itself is currently not consistent for the permissions it uses
to create directories, this will also change in rc7.

> Does the docs anywhere tell what must exist (which files and
> directories) and what will be created by leafnode as needed?
> (Ideally 'make install' should ensure that everything is put
> into the right places.)

I think it's a bug if leafnode cannot work standalone, without upstream
servers, should be fixed for -rc7.

> According to logs, leafnode complains about 'expire = 10' is
> not recognized, then that there is noe 'expire' statement in
> the config. file.  Is 'expire' to be "associated" with any
> 'server' statement (which I should not need to use as this
> is a "standalone" newsserver) - or am I using wrong syntax?

No, just write it as first parameter into your config.

> But, mainly, things are now working (I just wanted to tell;)
> and I'm now concidering to replace my 1.9.19 version at home
> (which is not standalone, naturally) with the 2.0_ma_beta.
> How far away is the "official" 2.0 release - will it be
> much different from the MA-branch (or will the MA be the
> base for the "official" release)?

I am not aware of any discussion on this topic, and the -ma version is
far from finished. In the end, the leafnode-versions all come with
LGPL/MIT-style licenses, so no-one can take away any version that
Cornelius or I have released, just backup them and off you go.