Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode 2.0b8_ma8rc1 available, features & fixes

Leopold Toetsch <lt@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> > two months after my last release, I am offering a new release candidate
> > of the -ma series, 2.0b8_ma8rc1.
>

> I have several problems with it:
>
> - configure in pcre is missing, so if no recent pcre is installed, it
> doesn't. (I couldn't regenerate autoconf, because my autoconf is too old
> but updating just leafnode shold not lead to updating a lot of packages
> ;-) - I installed pcre3.2.

Leafnode should be backwards compatible with any 2.x or 3.x PCRE
version, and many OS's ship with PCRE, for those that don't, PCRE is
easy enough to obtain and install, even as shared library (which is
preferable).

This "keep a local PCRE and compile it as needed" has caused so many
headaches and has broken the build so often that I'm no longer
considering it worth the efforts.

> - fopen_reg.c: In function `fopen_reg':
> fopen_reg.c:61: `ENOTSUP' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> I don't no why, EINVAL _is_ found, ENOTSUP not, I changed it to EINVAL.
> (BTW: fopen_reg.c() opens the file first, then it checks mode, and
> returns an error, seems bogus to me.)

I'm using EINVAL now and moved fopen() down a little. ENOTSUP does not
seem to be widespread. It's okay to fopen first, we just want it to bail
out if it's not a regular file, to catch should someone manage to mknod
something in the out.going directory, but we don't want to fopen for
unsupported arguments :-) Thanks.

> - compiling masock_sa2addr.c
> masock_sa2addr.c: In function `masock_sa2addr':
> masock_sa2addr.c:25: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> (IPV6 was automatically enabled during ./configure)

Anyways, I'm not checking that sockaddr_in6 exists and contains
sin6_addr in ./configure already to make the IPv6 detection more
reliable. Can you check if that detects IPv4 now on your machine? (No
need to install, just configure and compile are fine.)

> I did:
> $ env cf_cv_ipv6=no ./config.status --recheck
> which lead to:
> configure: No AF_INET6 found, sticking with IPv4.
> but:
> /* Define if you have IPv6 */
> #define HAVE_IPV6 1
> (config.h was not rebuilt)

Strange, I also saw config.h not being rebuilt, but cannot currenty
figure why.

> [ Compile & install ]
>
> Starting slrn on client states:
> Failed to initialize server
> Reason: 503 Unable to read configuration from /etc/config: No such file
> or directory
>
> So once again:
> $ env cf_cv_ipv6=no ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/leafnode
> (I thought, I read this is default, anyway it was default sometimes)

It is the default, unless you use --prefix. If you use --prefix, it
defaults to ${prefix}/etc. I now changed it to also override to
/etc/leafnode with --prefix=/usr.

> BTW in README.html --prefix=/usr/sbin is wrong.

Fixed.

> Ok:
>
> Try to run
> # make update
> make: update.sh: Command not found
>
> The call to @update.sh should really read @./update.sh, root _shouldn't_
> have ./ in the PATH.

Besides, no-one should need to update "from leafnode before 1.6"
nowadays, those systems should be phased out. Anyways, this is fixed in rc2.

> After changing Makefile:
> # make update
> Re-sorting groupinfo file...
> /update.sh: /home/lt/src/leafnode-2.0b8_ma8rc1/lsort: No such file or
> directory
> Done.

Hum. I readded that for now, but it seems as though this needs to be
reworked. After that, it's also necessary to change things for
2.0b8_ma8, which is not yet automated.

> BTW system SuSE 6.0 (mostly)

But you're aware you're not getting security updates for that box?

> # gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/egcs-2.91.60/specs
> gcc version egcs-2.91.60 19981201 (egcs-1.1.1 release)
> $ ldd leafnode
>          libpcre.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.0 (0x40008000)
>          libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0x40013000)
>          libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40041000)
>          /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00000000) Old
> leafnode is 1.9.19
>
> Thanks for your patience reading til here,

Thanks for YOUR patience to send such a detailed bug report.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin