Re: [leafnode-list] Will 2.x address these issues?

"Ben Holness" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > 1. Posting and fetching all take place sequentially.
> > News articles are posted, then retrieved.  If a local user posts a large
> > binary file then no news is fetched until posting completes.  With only
> > 256Kbps upstream, this can be a problem.  It would be useful if posting
> and
> > fetching were separate tasks that could run independently on the cron.
>
> It would also be useful to allow posting to be instant, which could be
> achieved if posting and retrieving news were separated.

It is in 2.0 currently, it will be removed for moderated groups though
(it must be, before you ask, there are pending bugs).

> If this is implemented, I would like to suggest that users have the option
> to choose whether the send news is done via a cron job (as a batch) or
> instantly.

> Even better, you could specify filters that allow you to configure which
> groups are instant and which are batched (in the above case, *binaries*
> might be batched while the rest is instant...)

Users will not choose in any case. Admins may choose, I put that on my
TODO list, but it's low-priority.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin