[leafnode-list] fetchnews and Too Many Open Files

OK it looks like I spoke too soon...

Setting the MAXUSERS in the kernel higher, which raised the
kernel variable kern.maxfiles to 4196, did not help, I'm
still getting too many open files.

I installed lsof but once the server runs out of files you
can't execute lsof because it attempts to open shared libraries
and there's no filehandles left to do it.  All you can do is
reboot.

I'm pretty sure, though, that fetchnews is the culprit, because
this last time that it happened, fetchnews was running.

Any ideas?

Ted